Transit Romance Stories

click to submit a story

I was waiting for the subway train one morning in February, and saw this cute guy waiting too. We said nothing to each other, but kept playing "eye tag" and smiling at each other. We went on to see each other but not speak to each other, two more times in the next two weeks during our morning commute.

Now anyone who has met either of us for longer than a few minutes, knows that we are not shy. Both of us are the types of people to approach strangers without hesitation. But for some reason neither one of us had the guts to talk to the other the first two times we saw one another.

The third time was the charm. We boarded the same train car and one stop from the end of the line, one stop before we would exit and possibly never see one another again, there was an announcement about a train delay. This was my sign. I approached him and said what was quite possibly the most original pick-up line in the history of mankind: "Hi, how are you?"

"I'm fine, thanks, would you like to have coffee with me sometime?" he replied, handing me his business card. It was damp from having been in his sweaty palm for 3 train stops.

We talked for about 5 minutes and learned that he loves cartoons, I'm an animator, he loves the outdoors, and I grew up in the country. I also learned that he moved to the US from India when he was 10 and I shared with him that I was born in the US to Indian parents. Not bad for a first conversation.

Now, let it be known that I was not one of those "Memory Card Game" daters, only interested in men who are ofthe same ethnic background. I saw him, he was cute, and the Indian part was a coincidence.

So I sat on his business card for 3 weeks. Then my first email to him ended up in his Spam box for 3 more weeks. Our first date was April 9, 2008. It was the best date that either of us had ever been on: pizza & beer at a bar near the train stop where we met.

Nine months later I found out he had been waiting for me at the train platform every weekday morning after he saw me for the first time, until the morning we finally spoke. He would let the trains pass and be late for work in the hopes that he would see me again. We married in July of 2010 and were blessed with boy-girl twins in December of 2011.

And the train we met on? The L train!
     -Kalika S


My husband Barry and I were engaged in May 1973 and married that December. While we were engaged, we were riding on the F train home to Brooklyn as we did every night after work. We had been to Macy's Herald Square looking at potential bedroom furniture. I had written the prices of the sets we liked on the back of brown paper bag I had been carrying. While on the train my fiance Barry took the bag and wrote a lovely poem all about me...he even wrote on it that it was written on the F train on that July night. I kept that poem for so many years and I am sure it is somewhere in my house although I have moved many times and now live in the Las Vegas area.  I will always cherish that special poem of love from my future husband. We are still married after 38 years together..We took that F train for so many years...34th St station...That station was so great because it had so many stores underground and I could shop down there too.   The F Train was our line and I especially loved the view from the Smth/9th Street stop overlooking the harbor before it went underground. Barry and I took that train together until Barry changed careers and I had our first daughter while living in Brooklyn and stopped working in Manhattan.

Love on the F was a special time for us as a young couple in love and always remembered because of that wonderful poem dedicated to me...his future bride.
    -Harriet W


My transit romance started in 1995 at a transient time for all types of communication venues.  The internet was just beginning to be a mainstay for information sharing and I met a New Yorker in a chat room, which quickly evolved to us falling madly in love.  However, in 1995 mobile phones and texting were not the norm, so my new love and I would talk on pay phones in the station using calling cards.  Frequently, he’d call from the platform and I’d ask him to keep talking with me; our loving catchphrase to keep the conversation going just a bit longer was, “one more train”… meaning stay talking with me until the next one comes.  I’m sure the bulk of the payphones have long been removed, and sadly our love story ended after nearly 10 years of marriage.  Yet, I always remember the longing to hang on the telephone for just one more train as I’d hear one come in, and then depart.
    -Catherine D


In 1963 I proposed to my wife on the Brighton Express between the stations of Kings Highway and Sheepshead Bay. I grew up in a Transit Authority family since my father was a motorman in the BMT division of the New York City subways. While speeding past the Neck Road station my then girl friend said "yes", she'll marry me.
That was 48 years ago and we're still going strong. The family legacy lived on because in 1966 I began my Transit career as a subway conductor on the BMT division and became a motorman in 1968. On my first trip in passenger service my entire family, including my motorman dad and now young son, surprised me by being passengers on my "maiden voyage'. Ironically that first trip was on the Brighton Express.  After 46 years of marriage and 19 years of being retired from the NYCTA I can truly say that the New York subway system is my cupid.
    -Arnold L


Every morning as well as evenings Monday thru Friday, on my way to work on the 6 train and on my way back home with my 1 year old son, I always bumped into a handsome guy. I was always intimidated by him. Well long story short; we saw each other everyday until one day he broke the ice by saying "I always see you"! I immediatley started sweating! Lol! My reply was "I always see you too". This was during me waiting on the side of token booth while waiting for the passengers (which one of the passengers was him) to exit the train so that i may then enter with the stroller. Well since that evening every morning he would help me carry the stroller up the train stairs & help me carry down the stroller in the evenings. Then he started waiting for me to take my son to my moms who was the babysitter, so that he and i can ride the train together & get to know each other between 116 St & 86 St. It was literally about 5 minutes for us to get to know each other. This went on for about two months before he started giving me a ride home due to a rainy day. He felt bad that i was soaked because its easier to manage stroller without an umbrella. Seven years later... We are engaged to be married! We have a beautiful 3year old daughter which we named Madison, because when he started waiting for me by my moms who lives on Madison Avenue to then take the train together, we decided that the name Madison has a history behind it. He raised my son as one of his one, My son is now 8 years old and they love each other to death! I have two step kids, his 12 year old daughter and his 9 year old son. We are one big happy family!!! :D


Our wedding is the result of a successfully resolved missed connection :)

On May 29, 2009, Acacia was riding uptown from Brooklyn on the 4 train, feeling sick and exhausted as she began her long commute to a literary agency where she was the only employee. The very last thing she needed was a distraction from the manuscript on her lap, which is exactly what she got when a group of boisterous teenage girls burst onto the train at the Borough Hall stop. At first she was annoyed, but then she spotted the teacher herding them onto the train. He was energetic, sweet and very handsome, and all the students seemed to love him. Their interactions formed the most heartwarming scene she’d ever seen on the subway, and brightened her spirits considerably. When she got to work, she posted a note about the teacher on the Missed Connections section of Craigslist, thinking that she was just sending positive energy out into the universe.

Later on that evening, our friend Christine was having a birthday party at a karaoke bar on the Lower East Side of Manhattan, at which Carmen was in attendance. Carmen’s roommate Atiba recounted a funny story for everyone: some girl had apparently written a post on Missed Connections about their mutual acquaintance John, a substitute teacher who had also chaperoned a group of students on St. Joseph High School’s annual trip to the Metropolitan Museum of Art. Atiba described the post.
“That’s not about him,” Carmen said. “It’s about me!”

After the party Carmen biked home, then scrolled through the hundreds of missed connections posts that had been posted since that morning until he found Acacia’s. He wrote a response, then went to bed and proceeded to spend the rest of the weekend moving into a new apartment.

Meanwhile, Acacia checked her email and saw a response from someone who correctly described the mystery teacher’s outfit and the destination of the field trip (which she’d overheard on the train). She googled his name and found his Facebook profile, as well as the old SOS Trust website, containing a picture of Carmen and Sulsa. That’s him! she thought. However, having been born in New York City and raised in New Jersey, she knew better than to trust anyone right away, and wrote him back asking for additional confirmation of his identity. He did so, and we exchanged a few more emails. We discovered we lived just one neighborhood apart in Brooklyn (Acacia in Prospect Heights and Carmen in Crown Heights) and, since neither of us had any experience with online dating and found it awkward to keep emailing, decided to meet in person.

We met for drinks at Washington Commons on the day that Michael Jackson died (June 25, 2009), which helps both of us “Remember the Time” when we first met. We had a great conversation, and for Carmen the deal was sealed when Acacia eagerly agreed to play pool and ping pong at Ocean’s 8 Bar & Grill, topping off a great first date. Dates in Prospect Park, the Brooklyn Museum, Chavella’s, and more ensued. Carmen taught Acacia how to ride a bike, and soon we were riding all over the city: to Brooklyn Bridge Park, Governors Island, and frisbee games on Randall’s Island.

As time passed, we learned that we could count on each other for pretty much anything. Acacia proved a highly capable assistant for the perennially overextended Carmen; Carmen helped Acacia through at least three moves and as many quarter-life crises. We are both extremely silly, and arguments typically end in laughter. So for our second anniversary, Carmen devised an elaborate proposal to make this a permanent arrangement.

A few days before our anniversary, Carmen asked Acacia if it would be all right to stop by a small retirement party being thrown in his mother’s honor; he explained that some friends of hers were taking her to a play in the city to celebrate her years of service to her school district. “Then,” he said, “I have a surprise planned to celebrate our special day.”

While she was getting ready that morning, Carmen burst in and told Acacia that he’d forgotten his mother’s present and needed to go all the way back home. “Could we just meet in the city?” he asked. “Christine is also heading uptown on the F train; she can ride with you.” Acacia agreed and continued to get ready. In the process she noticed that a favorite picture of us had gone missing from her nightstand, but didn’t have time to investigate its whereabouts further. Carmen, meanwhile, pretended to head home, but in actuality went to the 4th Avenue/9th Street subway station. A few minutes later, Acacia and Christine left for the same location; as they progressed, Christine texted Carmen their movements so that he could stay out of sight. Unbeknownst to Acacia, she and Christine got on the train car just ahead of Carmen’s, where, once on board, he had begun enlisting help for the next phase of the surprise.

At Carroll Street, Christine left the train car, handing Acacia a bulging envelope with Carmen’s handwriting on it as she got off. She then hopped onto Carmen’s car, where the group of volunteers was being prepped. Meanwhile, Acacia opened up an envelope containing an MP3 player and a note prompting her to turn on the player and consider some thoughts about love in general. When she turned on the player, “You’re All I Need to Get By” played. At this point, she started to consider whether or not this was just a simple anniversary surprise.

Her happy suspicions were heightened when, at the Jay Street/MetroTech station, a complete stranger walked up to her and handed her a second envelope containing instructions to move ahead to the next song, “A Kiss to Build a Dream On,” prompting Acacia to think about our first date. At Lower East Side/Second Avenue, a pair of teenage girls approached Acacia with a third envelope, prompting her to listen to “Can You Stand the Rain” and consider the idea of weathering life’s storms together. At West 4th, a man handed her an envelope instructing her to listen to ”Love Will Never Do (Without You)” and then, after considering whether love could truly never do without Carmen, to listen to “Don’t Stop Me Now” (a staple of the playlist we use to get fired up before ultimate) and reflect on the ways in which we encourage and inspire each other. This set of instructions ended with, “My love, if this time of questioning and reflecting has left you feeling good about us and our future together, then I have just one more question to ask you…” By now Acacia was absolutely certain that this was a marriage proposal.

When Acacia got out at 34th Street, fired up by the final song on the playlist, it seemed like an interminable wait for a downtown F train to take her to 23rd Street. One finally came. When Acacia got off the train, she was intercepted by Carmen, who immediately dropped to one knee, presented her with the ring, and popped the question. Both sets of parents waited at the end of the train platform along with Acacia’s sister and some close friends, and after lots of cheering and hugging we went to brunch at Le Zie.
    -Acacia S


Our story is not that of the chance occurrence, or swooning moment on bus or train, but that of a profound love enabled by transit and the miraculous city of New York.

It was the end of our sophomore year and we had barely been dating but a month. All we knew was that a a nearly unbridgeable gulf in time and distance loomed ahead of us, and it would sorely try the delicate bonds of our nascent love.

Throwing caution, our finances, and our parents reservations to the wind, we began boarding our respective trains to spend a chance few hours or a weekend evening whenever we possibly could. she departing Raritan, NJ, and I on the LIRR out of Central Islip.

Countless moments were spent in expectation on those seemingly endless rides into Penn Station. It was there amidst the constant bustle and thoroughly unromantic atmosphere of Penn Station that time would stand still for the both of us as we seemed to meld into one another, almost out of disbelief that we were able to share a moment in each other's presence.

Penn Station became our playground as we would look to surprise the other should they arrive second. It also unfortunately became the scene of tragedy, as many a tearful moment were spent on the platforms as one of our trains slowly pulled away, while the other was compelled to watch. To this day, my love still remarks of the feeling of being torn apart inside by the train leaving for our home stations.

Through the heartache and happiness our love blossomed that summer, with rainy days in Central Park where we professed our love for one another with no care for how soaked our clothes became, tired moments when I would carry my love and her aching feet upon my back, and countless evenings spent dreaming about the present and future.

For enabling our love to mature and truly blossom in the face of adversity, and ensuring our swift arrival into one anothers arms I will never cease to be thankful for the LIRR, NJ Transit, and Penn Station.
    -Christopher D


A frequent visitor to the city for business, shopping, the cultural life etc., it is a common "lovenest" of an idea when we step aboard a subway and i ask "have you ever been kissed on the No. 6 downtown before?" or the "No. 1 uptown?" and this goes on and on, for the four years that i have been sharing my manhatton excursions with my galpal donna ...
(Psst, i just love visiting the museum store at GCT, the displays and coming out with postcards, station magnets etc) ...
    -Peter G


I did meet my love on the bus!  He was driving it! (The 57th Street crosstown!)

We've been married for 33 years! Still going strong!
    -Sonya S


Many years ago while I was a motorman working the B train in Brooklyn, I was on my way back to Coney Island on my last run of the day. When my train was entering Pacific Street, I noticed a girl that I always had a huge crush on standing about the position where the 2nd or third car would stop in the station. The platform was very crowed and I knew that I could do nothing to get her attention at this station stop. The doors opened and I saw her get on the train. By now my heart was racing and so was my mind as to how I was going to contact her before she got to her regular stop which was 74th street.  When my train got to 36th street, I noticed that I had the homeball against me. This was my opportunity. I put my train in emergeny after making my station stop and when the conductor opened the doors I took my tools and left the cab, running up the platform looking for this young lady with desperation until I got to the third car.  Seeing her sitting there and then seeing the homeball clear, I knew thjat I had to leave the station. Ran back to my cab, charged the train and left with no problem. Now in route, I knew that she would be getting off at 74th street so I made a PA announcement stating.  "Will Joan I please come to the motormans cab". As I operated, I waited with my heart beating like therfe was no tomorrow. Got to 9th one showed, got to Ft. Hamilton, no one showed. I was desperate. Well the head writting was on the wall and I realized that she was not going to come to the cab. Sure enough when my train arrived at 74th street, the doors opened and she got off. I held the train a second and when she approched the cab I asked her why she did not oome to the cab. She told me that when she herad the announcement for Joan Indelicato to come to the cab, everyone looked around and she just would not move out of her seat. She said that she was mortified. She also said this to me. I quote..You were stupid then and your stupid now. I smiled, told her it was gtreat seeing her again and if I could call her. She looked at me with wide eys and said "WHAT?"

I then proceeded to release the brakes and was on my merry way with mixed feelings as to what just happened.
Ah another day on the railroad.
    -Gerard E


My boyfriend loves the MTA. When I first met him he wore a old token around his neck. A few weeks after we've been dating he bought me my own token necklace to wear to match his. After going out for a month I said "I love you" on the 4 train, It just seemed right, and he said he loved me back. Its been more then 6 months and we're still going strong. I also haven't taken my token off since the day he put it on me.
    -Tiffany S


In September 1970 I went to a travel agent in Houston, Texas, as I wanted to go on my first vacation on my first job after getting out of the U. S. Marine Corps with service in Vietnam. She booked me on a trip to Europe that included train travel. In taking the train from Paris to Milan I was looking for a seat.  The compartment that I chose had 5 American girls, and a compartment holds 6.  I may be stupid but not dumb!

The girl I sat down next to was a nurse from St. Clare's in Manhattan.  We had a date in Milan; a date in Brussels; a date in New York City; and then when she came to visit me in Houston I proposed.  We have been married now for some 40-years.  I'm so glad that we met on the train.
    -George P


When I was in eight grade several teachers took us to the Transit museum first love's name was Terrence Murphy he was on this school trip also. I really liked my classmate. As we were listening to the curator and playing amoungst the trains I feel someone holding my hand. It was my first love and then... we kissed. It was the best kiss ever. I still talk to Terry and til this day we are very good friends.Valentines day weekend I will be visiting him I live in Florida but neither of us forgot our transit date. Happy Valentines day.
    -Lenska R


Share your story below: Just over 15 years ago, 2 years after I was hired by NYCT, I met and decided to ask my boss out on a date.  Well it went so well and had so much in common it wasn't long that we fell in love and 9 months later we were married.  A lot has happened over the years and I transfered to the bus company however, my wife is still working at NYCT.  we now have two beautiful children, 10 years old (twins).  We've been through happy times and sad times, but no matter what we have been there for each other, and if I had to do it all over again I would not change a thing.  Which goes to show, when two people love each other, as we do, your marriage can last forverer.
    -Rocco A


My husband and I were just getting to be friends in high school, but then he started dating the chess team champion and had no more time for me. I was hurt and jealous but never let him know.

13 years later he saw me with a girlfriend on a crowded downtown 5 train. I didn't notice him. He didn't say hi, just watched me from 86th St to Union Square. Something must've clicked.

A year later, in May, I set up a profile on a professional website and immediately started emailing people with his (pretty common) last name, one at a time. It could've been a long search.

But less than a week later he contacted me through the same website, though I hadn't yet reached that far down my list. He had been searching for me, too. We were married 2 years later, in May 2011.
    -Yuliana K


Mine is not the type of romance story you may want to include in your valentine edition.  I fainted on my way to work on August 13, 2010 on the Atlantic Avenue Station platform.  I'm told I collapsed unconcious onto the tracks that morning as a train approached the station.  Four men, strangers to me, jumped in and resuced me.  I've since met Jim, Brenden and Jay and have had them over my home.  While not a traditional love story, it's a story of friendship and gratitude and of lives changed due to an unexpected subway encounter.
     -Michael L


Steve is my subway husband. We meet every morning at 2:25 a.m. on the #2 train going downtown to work. I’m always so glad to see him. We get on that train and try and act like bad-asses. Both of us would do anything to protect the other but I don’t know how seriously anyone would take us. We are both red heads and I call him Ginger and I’m Spice. It started as just a “buddy” system kind of thing, but one morning he wasn’t there and I really missed my Ginger! The next morning, there he was, my subway husband, my Ginger.


We had been dating for over a year and we both knew we were ready to get engaged, but I left it up to my boyfriend, Mike, to do the asking. On March 15, 2006 we had plans for dinner at a upscale steakhouse. Mike then changed our plans to include drinks at the Rainbow Room, so I was a bit suspicious. However, after drinks and dinner, with no surprises, I figured nothing exciting was happening that evening. As we exited the B train at 86th St (at the 87th St and Central Park West exit), Mike bent down to "tie his shoe" and then whipped out of his bag a sign that looked like a black and white MTA weekend service change announcement, but actually said "Atara, will you marry me?" He had found a site that allowed you make a sign mimicking MTA service notices, and made one as a backup plan in case drinks and dinner had not presented him with the perfect proposal moment. It was perfect, b/c by that point in the evening, I figured we were getting engaged on some other evening! But it happened around 10 pm right before the exit turnstile on the subway platform at W. 87th St and Central Park West! And for the few years that we lived on W. 87th St as a married couple, I always thought of that evening as I exited through that gate. It is our subway exit!


 It was February 1, 1987 and I was sitting at the bottom of the crossover stairway waiting for the southbound "D" train at DeKalb Avenue in Brooklyn.  A Transit Cop approached me to see if I was alright.  I have to admit it wasn't all that smart of me to be riding the subway at 3 AM, but I was 25 years old and a born Brooklynite.  We chatted for quite a while (trains are few and far between at 3 AM) and discovered we had a lot in common. We exchanged phone numbers and when my train came in, he leaned over and surprised me with a quick kiss goodbye.  The next morning I told my mother "I met the man I'm going to marry".  This April we'll be celebrating our 19th wedding anniversary.
 -Nancy B



I married my LIRR conductor!

I used to commute home on the 6:33 train to Babylon.  I was 22 years old and discovered that train had a "bar car" where the riders were like a family.  They welcomed me in to their group and I quickly learned that one of their favorite activities was making the conductor's job as difficult as possible.  People would take forever to show their monthly tickets, hold the doors open at Jamaica while they puffed on cigarettes (this was in 2001, before the platform smoking ban was around!), and the girls would unmercifully flirt with our very handsome conductor Tom.  I was smitten with his looks, but couldn't understand why he ignored our advances and wouldn't joke around with all of us in the bar car.  He was always so professional, he just did his job and kept moving.  I remember telling a fellow rider that I was going to crack his shell.  I started casually talking to him about baseball, as I saw by his coat that he was a Mets fan like myself.  He was surprised at how fanatical I was about the sport, and I was surprised that he played in a national amateur hardball league.  We were both dating other people at the time, but we stayed friendly and seeing him on the way home was the best part of my day.  When his job changed and he no longer worked my train, I felt like I had lost him.  This was before the advent of Facebook and other forms of tracking people down.  I remember trying different trains every day just trying to find the one he was working.  I eventually gave up hope.  About 6 months later, I walked down the steps of Track 18 at Penn and there was Tom standing at the door of the train.  We locked eyes and both got this look of sheer excitement on our faces.  I remember everything about that moment, what I was wearing, how he was standing, and how I ran to give him a big hug.  It may have seemed odd, considering commuters don't normally hug their conductors, but the moment overtook me.  I spent that whole ride sitting next to his cab, catching up with him (in between his duties of course, he is a true professional).  When the train arrived at my stop in Amityville, he asked me if I would like to go to dinner at Bobby V's, which was Bobby Valentine's restaurant  at the time across from Shea Stadium.  I was so thrilled.  Then he said the words I'll never forget-- "You know I have kids, right?"  I was shocked!  I was then only 23 and I thought he was maybe 25 at the most.  I stammered "No...wait, how old are you?"  When he said he was 35 and divorced I was shocked again!  But we went on that date and I've been happily in love with my conductor ever since.  We married 3 years later in 2006 and our son Joseph was born in 2008, to join his three older sisters that became my family too.
Ten years after we met--I swear to you he is still the most handsome thing in that LIRR uniform.
   -Laura D


My mother was waiting on the platform for the train home when a woman approached her to ask for directions.  They both got on the train and sat down together.  It was a long ride and they started talking.

After awhile they each mentioned their single children.  My mother talked about me and the woman said she had a son.  They both took out pictures and the woman asked for my phone number to pass on to her son.

Her son, George, was in the service and when he got home on leave he phoned me.  It so happened that I was going away on vacation and couldn't see him that trip, but we started to exchange letters.  When he got home on leave the next time we met and that became the beginning of a romance.

We would have been married for 30 years when my husband passed away at age 55 from cancer.  If it had not been for two mothers meeting on the subway and talking about their single children, I would have never met the love of my life.

You never know where love will come from. Be open to all of life's unexpected moments.
   Marica L


My wife Linda and I met while we were in college. She worked full-time and went to school at night; I was a full-time student who worked part-time.
My sister and I caught the 'L' train at Union Square but did not get into our usual car. I noticed a blond girl in a long green winter coat. (My sister and I never went back to our usual car again!) Our eyes met every now and then but I never spoke to her.
After my sister asked her for her phone number (which is another story) we finally spoke on the phone. I asked her out that weekend but she was busy. A week later she called me at work and asked me if I would like to go to a NY Rangers game. Our first date was March 16, 1976, and this year we are celebrating our 31st wedding anniversary.
   -Bill C


It was high school. For three years, I got on the D train at 6:50 and then transferred to the C heading uptown shortly thereafter. I actively avoided getting on the A, or tried to when I was not running late, even though it was faster than the C because I knew he would be getting on that same C train on 155th street. We would both transfer to the 1 train on 168th street and head north to the same high school. I admired him on the way back home too (see he played baseball and I softball and practice would generally end around the same time). Even when he was sitting there with his girlfriend, he was still the only person on the train. I never told him how I felt but I am sure my pretending to read or text or have music playing out of my headphones was quite obvious.


click to submit a story